Fewer than half of Kenyans have access to safe drinking water, collecting water from open rivers, streams and other unsafe sources, leading to regular outbreaks of cholera and other water-borne diseases.
People are encouraged to boil water before drinking, which is usually done by burning unsustainable sources of biomass like wood or charcoal, reducing forest cover, causing carbon emissions, and exposing people to household smoke.
This project brings affordable water filters to families and schools in Kenya, through community-led microfinance loans, eliminating the need to boil water for drinking. These bio-sand water filters purify water as it passes through layers of sand, naturally removing bacteria and parasites from the clean water that flows from the tap.
Aqua Clara goes beyond providing the technology for safe water, they also teach people how to maintain the bio-sand filters and educate communities on the importance of washing hands, fruits and vegetables.
Over 700 children die every day from illnesses linked to unsafe water worldwide. | UNICEF
In addition to delivering emissions reductions to take climate action (SDG 13), the project delivers additional benefits. The SDG contributions have been indicatively measured, and need to be confirmed:
- Good Health and Well-being: Reduced exposure to unsafe water and household smoke.
- Clean Water and Sanitation: Nearly 80% of households report fewer occurrences of diarrhoea in their children since using the Aqua Clara water filter.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Creating skilled job opportunities in local production and distribution of water filters.
- No Poverty: Studies showed savings of up to $2 per month through a reduction in water-related costs.
- Quality Education: The programme delivers extensive hygiene training, using a variety of teaching methodologies.
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: Maintenance of this safe water infrastructure is ensured through extensive training of distributors.
Our goal is to deliver 1 billion tonnes of emissions reductions by 2030
600+ projects have been supported by Climate Impact Partners
100+ million tonnes of emissions reduced through carbon finance
Delivering towards the Global Goals
End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Good Health and Wellbeing
Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities
Clean Water and Sanitation
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
Decent Work and Economic Growth
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Supporting our projects delivers on multiple UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). You can read more on the Goals below.Learn more about the global goals
Explore our projects
Explore our range of projects across the globe: nature based solutions, health and livelihoods and sustainable infrastructure.Explore
We are the leading solutions provider for carbon offsetting, net zero, carbon neutrality and carbon finance project development.Read more