With a growing middle class in India, demand for electricity outstrips supply causing regular blackouts for those connected to the grid. In rural areas, kerosene or other fossil fuels are used for energy and lighting, polluting the air inside homes.
This project has brought over 160,000 reliable solar power and solar water heating systems to customers throughout the country, while cutting around 55,000 tonnes of CO2e a year by replacing the use of kerosene or electricity from a grid reliant on fossil fuels.
Orb Energy manufactures, sells, installs and services a unique range of high-quality solar energy systems for residential and commercial customers in India. Businesses can operate for longer and more consistently with a solar energy system. Household solar water heating reduces electricity bills by more than 50% and lighting at home means greater opportunity for children to study after the sun goes down.
Traditional water heating accounts for a quarter of all residential energy use worldwide
In addition to delivering emissions reductions to take climate action (SDG 13), the project delivers additional benefits. The SDG contributions have been indicatively measured, and need to be confirmed:
- No Poverty: The technology helps households and small businesses cut their electricity bills by up to 50%.
- Good Health and Well-being: The project reduces indoor air pollution by replacing kerosene lamps or other fossil fuels previously used to light homes.
- Quality Education: Providing reliable light after sunset increases reading and learning.
- Affordable and Clean Energy: Orb’s network across India is expanding energy access to rural areas and reducing the cost of electricity for their customers.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Training and skilled job opportunities are created to sell, distribute and maintain the solar panels.
Our goal is to deliver 1 billion tonnes of emissions reductions by 2030
600+ projects have been supported by Climate Impact Partners
100+ million tonnes of emissions reduced through carbon finance
Delivering towards the Global Goals
End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Good Health and Wellbeing
Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities
Affordable and Clean Energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy
Decent Work and Economic Growth
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Supporting our projects delivers on multiple UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). You can read more on the Goals below.Learn more about the global goals
Explore our projects
Explore our range of projects across the globe: nature based solutions, health and livelihoods and sustainable infrastructure.Explore
We are the leading solutions provider for carbon offsetting, net zero, carbon neutrality and carbon finance project development.Read more